Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Chronichles of Narnia:Prince Caspian-Review #2 CINEMA SATURDAY

*Caution: A bit of a spoiler alert is warranted here!
The Chronicles of Narnia:Prince Caspian is a film that I am glad I saw despite the handicap that I feel all films based on books like the Narnia volumes (which I am sad to say I am not really familiar with as I would like to be) labor under-What I have imagined in my mind while reading the books feels intruded on by someone else's vision. It is always two fold, though. Especially since I have gotten older, I have become a bit more curious as to what someone else will come up with. The film's beginning scenes introduce us to the new character, Prince Caspian. We learn Caspian's life is in danger and he is forced by a friend and mentor, Doctor Cornelius to leave the castle of Lord Miraz because a son and heir has just been born to Miraz and his wife. This is a difficult situation for Caspian because Lord Miraz is Caspian's uncle, and a Power hungry one. Caspian has lived with Miraz and has been carefully used as a pawnish figure. Miraz's new little son is motivaton to dispense of his nephew and establish his line of power. Caspian escaspes and meets with Narnians-a race derided and thought to be extinct. He is alarmed, sounds a horn given him by Doctor Cornelius and.........Enter the Pevensie children. The four Rulers re-enter their kingdom to find it wasted by the power-monger Miraz and his race of telmarines-who for 1300 years have been opressing Narnia . Remember,Narnians are thought to be extinct. Cair Paravel and all of the familiar landmarks in the world of Narnia and its outskirts are as I said-wasted. Battles ensue, intrigues arise, but the most fascinating thing to me about the movie besides the Christian symbolism is the growth of the four children: Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy have passed through only a year out of Narnia, but growth has taken place particularly with Edmund. I love it that Edmund is the one who personally shatters the chance for the white Witch to come back into power. Among his siblings, he alone knows in a MUCH fuller way the seduction of her power through his unique experience with her. He has overcome much. Lucy is a symbol of child-like faith, sweetness and innocence. She seeks Aslan with true and earnest belief-although it shakes a bit in this installment. Peter and Lucy have matured. They are protectors as ever. Without going too much into detail, another thing I enjoyed was the costume and make-up and computer animation . The animated animals were quite fun. Reepicheep the mouse along with giants, minotaurs, dwarves, and centaurs are fun to watch. And My fave-Aslan-is voiced by the wonderful Liam Neeson. :-) I love that character. Reviewing this movie is kind of difficult because to do it the way I want to and as intelligently as I want to, I feel that I should have read all of the books (which I have not done) and clarify and compare. But this is a movie, and the movie is a fun ride. I give the film 2.5 out of 4 stars.


O.K. I finished this at 2:58 a.m. There will be editing.

1 comment:

  1. I have read all of the books, but I haven't even seen the first Narnia movie yet. I think my husband took all the kids to see it so I could have a day to myself. LOL Now I really want to go rent both shows. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete