Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Review-"I'd Like to Thank The A-Kaz-emy"

I truly had a FANTASTIC time at Kaz's Oscar Party. I even won Snoopy Socks! (I tied with one other person for guessing the most results correctly on the Oscar Ballot-guessing how the Academy would Vote). It was so fun. Can't wait for next Year ( if I can be so presumptuous to guess that Kaz will let Me come next Year-I drank half of the Dr. Pepper).

Anyway, I will discuss first the predictions that I fell flat on. There were two major surprises for me last night. Penelope Cruz winning the Best Supporting Actress was NOT expected. She has been nominated for a Leading Actress Oscar, and Has won BAFTAs and Cannes Film Festival Leading Actress Award. She is a rich and wonderful actress who can do comedy and drama equally well. The only problem is that the role she won for was not worthy of her. I have not seen the movie and never will. The next surprise was a shocker, but now that the Oscars are over and everything has settled in, It seems that Sean Penn winning for Best Leading Actor Oscar was just the way the Academy was expected to go. Mickey Rourke was talked up a lot-and I figured he would take it, but I guess that Sean Penn is having his revenge for lost Oscars in the past. I did not care for Penn's role that he won for at all, but he is a terrific and passionate actor with a lot of talent. Too bad the LDS church had to take some VERY undeserved hits from screenwiter of Penn's film. >:^( I felt bad for Rourke, too. It must have been deflating to lose. He had piled up just about every other lead actor award this Year-and I wonder if He would rather have had just the Oscar than all the others put together.

The favorite part of the night for Me was without a doubt Kate Winslet's acceptance speech. Here is the link to the vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAO0pZ2xvWE . I LOVE that moment of connection with her Dad. She is truly a serene, cool, and amazingly talented actress which is why I LOVED that She was SO happy-and for a moment uncharacteristically not 100% composed. I loved THAT. The Best Actress Race this year was incredible. I wanted all of those women to walk away with it. (I mean, it would have been too cool for Brad and Angie walk away together with their Oscars, RIGHT???- But the Oscars are not theirs.) lol. And ummmmmmmmmmmm Meryl Streep? Wow. How amazing she looked at the Oscars! :-) She is beyond cool. The only blight in the Best Actress Category was CATE BLANCHETT NOT BEING NOMINATED! :-/ Ah, well. Cate will pull a Sean Penn one of these Years (or I should say in many coming Oscars) and win the Best Actress Oscars that She so richly deserves.

The Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Heath was a foregone conclusion.

Slumdog Millionaire for best picture and the Best Direction Oscar for Danny Boyle (with a little help from Loveleen Tandan for their Direction of Slumdog Millionaire) were no surprise.

I just HAVE to mention how much I liked the format of this Year's Oscars-meaning that the nominees being honored personally by former winners in the same category was wonderfully fabulous and personal. Each nominee got a personal mention beyond just the mention among their fellow nominees if they were not awarded the Oscar. It was a FABULOUS idea that I hope is put in place from now on.

Take Care, All. And Keep watching Movies. :-) (Good Movies).

2 comments:

  1. OK, let's hope the comment thingy is working now... Keep watching movies! Let's go to a show again sonn, huh?

    ReplyDelete