Monday, April 20, 2009

Honoring Bill Orton



I get a wistful, idealistic feeling when I think of My experience Volunteer Campaigning for Bill Orton. I was in High School and met Orton at Gene Faux's home. He spoke for a while to us, (campaign volunteers) and I was kind of starstruck. Orton's enthusiasm, gentlemanliness, and utter brilliance stuck Me deeply. There was no pettiness or dirty Political Down-talking of the other guy. He sent us on our way to hand out literature and make a personal connection with potential voters. All positive and can-do. Very cool and business-like with a head for facts; he was equally engaging and personable. I was really impressed.
Before John McCain became famous for coining himself as a "maverick", Bill Orton was the original maverick. He voted against Party lines routinely and voted his conscience. When I wrote him to encourage him to keep funding for PBS safe, he replied and assured me of his commitment to that important issue. He never used idealistic rhetoric to cloud issues. He worked with sweat to make ideal things happen. His reputation as one of the smartest guys in congress was unquestioned. His courage as a Gubernatorial Canidate was added to with grace, reason, and conviction. His brilliance in Law impresses Me to no end.
I am honored to have seen him at a Political Convention followed around busily in the halls between speeches by many people who obviously knew Orton knew his stuff. A Brilliant Doer, Mover, Shaker; He is a legend of Utah politics. I will never forget his win to congress the first time He ran. What a beautiful moment for Utah.
Bill is A Beloved Husband, Father, asset to his Faith and community-beyond reproach in the eyes of his colleagues. Thanks, Bill Orton-for everything! Bless You and Your Family.

6 comments:

  1. Mr. Orton should be pleased to have such a devoted friend. This was a great tribute that makes me want to meet him myself! Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this tribute, Cherranne. I was out of town for spring break and had not heard the news about Bill Orton's death until I read your blog and it caused me to go search for news of him. What a tragedy for his wife and sons. The main memory I have of Bill Orton is from the Provo Fourth of July parade several decades ago. Instead of riding in a posh convertible like other politicians and candidates, he walked the entire parade route, talking with people and shaking hands. He seemed to me from that small encounter to be very much the type of genuine person you have described.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed he is above reproach. Thanks. Kind of You to comment, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good of you to get actively involved in Bill Orton's campaign. It's sad to see a politician as honest and on-the-ball as your experience working with him showed(and so young, too)die when we need people like him! A wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He has died? When? I must be out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete